Hands on Workshops / Cooking Classes
Listed as No.20 in Great Australian Bites: the foodie bucket list (Sydney Morning Herald April 2013)
If you wish to be included on our mailing list for these classes please email us with your details
Nestled amongst Cowra’s history and its POW camp was the juxtaposition of Neila
as Matthew Evans writes….
“Take an Aussie chick born to Chinese parents, put her with an Aussie bloke born to Greek parents, then let them loose on a property to grow fabulous produce and source the best from the Central West direct from growers. Let them bring it all together in a brilliant kitchen alchemy and whacko – welcome to Neila!”
These workshop / classes were set up to pass on some of the lost arts from both cultures and some of our favourite recipes from the restaurant. Fresh food prepared from scratch doesn’t always have to be hard work but should always taste good.
The memory of my childhood when Chinese families all got together at various times of the year to celebrate festivals by making specific dumplings or cakes. Every family member had their secret speciality which they looked after. Everyone chipped in purchasing ingredients, making, chatting, playing Mah Jong, eating and dividing the remainder to take home and enjoy with their families.
We have regretted not keeping a diary detailing specifics of perfecting each item that was made. Now that the older generation is moving on and no longer taking time out to make these specialities will we be content with the mass produced replacements?
Classes run from 11 am – 3 pm approx.
Cost $120pp (inclusive of GST)
Includes recipes, lunch and some samples to take home and enjoy with the family
Bookings are essential and dependent on availability. Places cannot be held in reserve. Full payment is required to secure booking.
Confirmed bookings may be transferred to another person.
Cancellations are not refundable. We reserve the right to alter or cancel a class.
We cannot accommodate dietary requirements.
for bookings -
Classes held on the last Saturday of the month (but not through the hot summer months)
NB. restaurant vouchers can be used for hands-on classes
If you are interested in honing your cooking skills, Anna conducts "hands on" workshops throughout the year, at our farm. Classes can be tailored to accommodate all levels of participants. Classes are ideal for corporate team building, hens days or reunions.
Workshop ideas include:
- dumpling / dim sum - from spring rolls to xiao long bao (the class that will teach you to make yum cha treats from fresh spring rolls to putting soup into dumplings)
- pizza & pide - from the early Neila days when the wood fire was burning. (interesting and diffrent combinations to put on our perfect home made base)
- stir-frys & slow one pot meals - aimed at the time poor person who would like a nutritious meal at the end of the day. (the quick stir-fry or a slow cooked meal which can be placed on the stove when a few minutes are handy)
- pasta making - learn the intricacies of pasta and ravioli making from the Good Food Guide's acclaimed pasta studded with black sesame seeds to the more complex ravioli of carrot and feta or basil and sweetcorn.
- sweets - do you want to make sweets that will "have your guests smashing plates" Australian Gourmet Traveller Restaurant guide - learn to cook some favourites from Neila
- Cooking with steam - learn chinese classics from savoury to sweet with an authentic feel (all dishes can be reproduced in a home oven)
- Bespoke classes - talk to us about your interests and what you would like to learn
(02) 6341 2188